Monday, October 17, 2011

Sports!

I played a lot of sports when I was younger--need more than one hand to count all different sports I used to play!  That's probably where I got my competitiveness.

I wouldn't say I am overly competitive.  Yes, there are times when I want to win--just win, no matter what--but being in the field of Education and seeing the beauty of the process to get to a goal, my competitiveness has toned down a bit...well, except during sports games.

Since I don't play sports anymore, my competitiveness comes out when I watch college sports or professional sports games.  I've been a huge fan of soccer, particularly the World Cup, since I was young. Then I started watching basketball.  My interest in basketball started with a LA Lakers-Boston Celtics game sometime in 2006.  I quickly became a big fan of Ray Allen, Rondo, Gasol and Derek Fisher.  Why these guys? They just stood out to me in many of the games I watched of those teams.  At first, I didn't care which team I rooted for. I was just busy familiarizing myself with the rules and players.  I was just excited to understand the games!

Then I turned to baseball.  The first baseball game I've ever been to was a SF Giants game in the summer of 2008.  I had so much fun being in that crowd cheering and singing.  The rules of baseball were a lot easier to understand and the games were easier for me to follow.  When the Giants won the World Series in 2010, it was as if I had won that title for myself.

My friends, to this day, remind me of how rowdy I was cheering for the Giants.  And because they had never seen me cheer for a sports team, they think I was excited about the Giants just because they were doing well that year.  But for the record, NOT true. Ok, returning to my story...

Today, I watched a SF 49ers game against Detroit Lions.  This was an especially exciting game because the Lions was undefeated, and the 49ers were doing well this season compare to the past several years.  After a bit of a rough start, the niners won.  And the Oakland Raiders also won their game against the Cleveland Browns as well.  It was a good day for the Bay in general!

I am still a novice when it comes to sports and being a fan.  (Yes, I get overly excited about each and every good pass or score, and I get overly frustrated at each and every bad pass or move.)  But I am learning and I give myself kudos for giving the complicated world of sports a fair try!

No comments:

Post a Comment