Thursday, October 13, 2011

Challenge

(I am not religious to Stumble Upon at all, but it just so happens that most of my inspirations begin there...)
I have been stumbling upon a lot of websites that provide free access to texts and endless lists of "books that everyone should read."  I have been trying to make reading a daily routine by starting one of those lists. The first thought of this was in high school. That was 10 years ago.  And it still hasn't happened yet.  Thus...  

I am giving myself a reading challenge.  I will give myself a deadline of December 31, 2011, but I am hoping that this challenge will become a habit, a daily routine, something that I do without having to remind myself.  My challenge is to read 20 books in the next 79 days, until 12.31.11.  Since the point of this challenge is to realize that reading can be a daily activity and to learn to enjoy and want to read every day, I won't restrict myself to a genre or a specific list.  I will also keep a log of what I read, and how much I read each day.

I work with students to help them become better readers. I tell them that they need to read every day before or after school and whenever they have spare time.  Well, if I am not reading myself, how can I ask my students to read every day?  As a reading teacher, I should be a reader before I ask or expect my students to be readers...


Enough talking... Let's get to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment