Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sauteed Shrimp with Zucchini

As a part of my New Year's Resolutions, I'm going to start recording/documenting my cooking and baking life!  My first creation of the year is...

Sauteed Shrimp with Zucchini

Where did the inspiration come from? Well, I had those ingredients in my fridge...
My theory of cooking is that you can create anything with ingredients you have.  Yes, sometimes you do need to go out and buy certain ingredients for a more planned dish.  You would also need a specific list of ingredients for a nutritionally balanced meal. But for a simple dinner on a Sunday night? Using whatever I had in my fridge worked for me.

Ingredients: shrimp, zucchini, celery, olive oil, black pepper, and minced garlic
Cooking time: About 30 minutes

First, I heated up the pan with olive oil and minced garlic. Then added shrimp. I divided each shrimp into two, the long way. When cooked, these long pieces (as opposed to chopping the body into chunky parts) each looked like a shrimp!

I added zucchini and celery.  I added celery--well, just as you might have imagined--because I had some in my fridge. It turned out that the celery added a little bit of a sweeter taste to my dish! At this point, I also added some black pepper to control the smell of shrimp a bit. I love seafood, but sometimes, they need to be toned down a bit.

While this was cooking, I started cooking quinoa.  (*Next time, I would start with quinoa since it takes a bit to cook it. If I had started with quinoa and watched it while cooking shrimp and zucchini, both would've been done around the same time.)

I gently put the shrimp and zucchini on a bed of quinoa. (I have been wanting to use this fancy restaurant language. I think it fits this dish!)

Voilà! Sauteed Shrimp with Zucchini is finished!

Epilogue
I found this one by WholeFoods that is almost the same as mine. They added tomatoes and used more herbs and seasoning. I'll try using those herbs next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment