Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Resolution

Eat healthy food. Get fit. Get a better job. Save money. Take a trip. Be happy.

Typical new year's resolutions. These were some popular ones I found when I googled "new year's resolution."

Oh, No.
These are too common and too general!

I've written my own (during my train ride from DC to NY on Dec. 30, 2011), a set that I actually felt pretty confident that I would be able to accomplish in 2012.  Originally, I came up with 15. Yes, I was feeling a little too confident.  But I've reduced the list a little bit, and I made sure that my goals are more specific than "be happy." The most important part about my resolutions--the part that I am very happy with--is that each of my goals has a reason it made on the list.  These resolutions were not included just to have a solid-looking list (A list of 5 does look better than a list of 2).  They were not included so I can say that I have new year's resolutions. I've carefully thought about my resolutions and I feel that I can accomplish these by pushing myself throughout the year.

So here it is. My New Year's Resolution for 2012.

1. Keep a journal
There are moments that I want to remember.  At those moments, I tell myself that I'll remember, but how many of those do I remember from 2011? Can't even begin to think about them.  So the best way to guarantee that I'll remember those small moments is to keep a journal and write in it.  I did it as a kid. My second through sixth grade teachers made me do it.  Now as an adult, I will write on my own, for my own, because I want to write in my journal.


2. 5k
I started working out when I moved to Columbus in September.  I've slacked a little bit with the holidays and my nye trip.  But it' time to workout/run with a specific goal, and I've decided on a 5k!  I used to run for my school when I was little. Well, the runner me is back in 2012.


3. Read 50 books
One book/wk seems like a good goal.  I won't restrict myself further by specifying which 50 books I'm going to read. There are many good lists out there that I can choose, but I want this list of 50 to be based on my interests. *Children's picture books don't count. Some children's chapter books are ok.


4. Keep up with current events
Probably by reading the newspaper/articles or magazines.  This will already be hard for me (as it has been for the past several years) so I'll gently remind myself daily without saying "read the news every day."


5. Study a (new) language
Spanish is ok. It'll be smart of me to choose Spanish since I have 4 years under my belt.  This is another one of those goals that I've been keeping on my list, but haven't been able to accomplish. Well, it's on the list again, and this time, it's happening. For real.


6. Pick up a new hobby
It doesn't matter what it is.  I want to try something new.  I'm assuming it'll be related to food--something like food photography or finding/keeping/trying new recipes.  Since I enjoy eating, and cooking has become a new, fun part of my daily life, this would be an easy way for me to enjoy a part of my day with a little more focus and a purpose!


There it is, my core list.  I have more, as I always have too many things I want to do. However, I don't want to overwhelm myself with a full list of 15.  This will push me forward and I will still have to challenge myself.

(One resolution I've cut already: cut sarcasm/silliness.  I asked for some of my friends' opinions. They think my personality will be gone if I cut silliness.  My intention was to be a little more adult-like and mature. But I'm thinking that I can be mature in different ways. I can be silly and be mature. Right? We'll see how this goes this year. I'll reconsider this for future years to come.)

Bring it on 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment