Saturday, October 22, 2011

Spontaneity

I've officially added a new word to my life dictionary: spontaneity.


I used to like things planned.  That probably came from my tendency to be overly careful.  I don't like to feel insecure about anything I'm about to do.  Thus, I wasn't a biggest fan of being spontaneous and doing something without a plan.

(As I mentioned in the previous blog entry,) I bought 2 plane tickets on Wednesday. One to Washington DC, one back from NYC.  I'm going to visit DC and NY over New Years 2012!  Sure, I am planning my new years celebration, so this might not be the best example of spontaneity.
Yea, yea yea...

But for me, considering how careful I've been until now, this is breaking-news.  I don't have much planned for my trip to DC and NY.  I know where I'll be staying, I know who I might be seeing.  I don't know what I'm doing for this week-long trip.

The idea of visiting NY came out during dinner with a friend. "We should visit NY. How about a 2012 New Years celebration in NY?" "Let's go!"  What's surprising was that I didn't start worrying once this was said.  Normally, in my head, I'd start thinking: How do I get there? Where do I stay? What activities am I going to do? Could I afford this trip? How am I going to feed myself? What will I wear since it's winter? Is NY going to be flooded with people? What if I get lost in the city? Will I ever make it to the city? What if I get bored and want to come home early? Is this a good idea?...just to name a few.

Instead, it was a simple decision this time. I came home and started looking at flights. Found cheap flights and thought, "ok, why not." Bought the tickets. Texted a few friends in NY and DC and asked them what their plans were and told them I was coming.  Not once during this 30 minutes was I worrying about anything regarding this trip. Spontaneous thoughts and decisions were made in 30 minutes.  Product: a week-long trip to DC and NY.

Kudos for me for being spontaneous and following the inspiration for this blog of living a improvised and syncopated life!

No comments:

Post a Comment