Friday, March 23, 2012

Like Crazy (2011)

I can't remember how exactly I found this movie, but saw it for the first time during this Spring break. I fell in love with it instantly! 

I've never been in a long distance relationship like Anna and Jacob have in the movie. But I do understand their love for each other. Most movies need dialogue in order for the audience to understand the story line. But in "Like Crazy," the conversations don't necessarily need to be said because the movie is more about emotions and feelings rather than understanding of the exposition-complication-climax-resolution sequence. There are many parts in the movie when Anna and Jacob don't talk but still have a form of conversation through their feelings by looking at each other or holding each other. These feelings and emotions almost can't be shared through words.

Also, this movie got me thinking about change over time. Things don't stay the same--especially human relationships, love. As time passes, as two people interact more and experience things together, things change. We call that "building a relationship."  Day after another, people interact with each other and build more to their existing relationship, which changes over time.  "Like Crazy" shows how that change might occur, what it might look like, and what it brings to people after a period of time. It tells an honest story of two people and their relationship over time, and that nothing stays forever.


"I thought I understood it, that I could grasp it, but I didn't, not really. Only the smudgeness of it; the pink-slippered, all-containered, semi-precious eagerness of it. I didn't realize it would sometimes be more than whole, that the wholeness was a rather luxurious idea. Because it's the halves that halve you in half. I didn't know, don't know, about the in-between bits; the gory bits of you, and the gory bits of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment