Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yes, it's my first baking project!   It's maybe my 2nd or 3rd baking project altogether, but those times, I had some help.  This time, I followed the recipe, mixed ingredients, and baked all by myself!  And this certainly is my first baking project at my apartment since I moved in.

I've been having a ton of work at work and starting to get a little stressed out.  At lunch time, to ease the stress, I was eating and talking about food with some of my co-workers.  We were talking about how much we love to eat and cooking.  This string of food conversation led to talking about fall food choices, and of course, pumpkin and chocolate were brought up.  One of my co-workers mentioned having a recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Since I heard that, I could only think about those cookies that had two of my favorite fall food--pumpkin and chocolate.  I was supposed to get the recipe from her, but I was getting impatient and decided to look up a recipe online.  I found one from the Food Network--definitely not new to this website--and decided that tonight was the night!

I got some baking supplies and ingredients on my way home from work.  Until today, I didn't have butter or sugar in my apartment.  How did I survive the past 2 months without those?  Well, I'm not a huge fan of those ingredients to put in my food to begin with and I am very proud of myself for staying out of those evil goodies.  But I HAD to get butter and sugar for my baking project--can't replace them with something "healthy"!

Concerns before the project:
1. I don't have an electric mixer--an obvious sign of a novice baker.  So I was nervous that I would over-use my arm with this project, but it turned out that my arms got some good exercise.

2. I decided to leave out a few ingredients, like ginger, nutmeg and cloves.  I didn't know what they taste like (with the exception of ginger) or how they would contribute to my cookies.  So I know it was a risk to take, but I just left them out.

3. I love dark chocolate, way more than milk chocolate.  I was going to use dark chocolate for my cookies even though the recipe specifically said "milk chocolate" and "not semi-sweet".  So to confirm that this trade was a good one, I had people research online.  There were several comments about how they didn't like the cookies because the dark chocolate was overpowering. So I decided to follow the recipe and use milk chocolate.

Duration: 32 minutes
Level (according to the author of the recipe): Easy

So here is my journey through my first baking project:

1. Beat and mixed 2 sticks of butter, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp of vanilla extract,
1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of brown sugar.

2.  Mixed 3 cups of flour, 2 tsp of baking soda and 1 tsp of cinnamon
into
the liquid mixture I made in step 1.

3. Mixed in 12 oz bag of milk chocolate chip. 

4.  Put small amounts of "dough" on the parchment paper (on the cookie tray),
waited, waited, waited...

5. About 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven, my cookies were done!

Actual Time: 2 hours
Actual Level: Pretty Easy
Number of cookies: 54 (minus 1.5 cookies to taste)

Now that the first baking project has been successfully completed, I feel pretty confident about baking. And now that I have those baking necessities (i.e. baking soda, flour, measuring cups/spoons, sugar, and butter) handy, I probably will be baking more!  (well, only after I finish all of my 52.5 cookies that are sitting in my kitchen...)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Heej!! Loved reading this. (FYI, those spices give the cookies a "fall" flavor...you know what I mean? I especially love nutmeg!! Cloves can be a bit overpowering!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, I'm def adding some cloves (just a tiny bit) and nutmeg for some fall flavor!

    ReplyDelete